Back to Services

Basic Food Outreach


(AKA Food Stamps or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)

The Basic Food Assistance Program reduces hunger by helping people with low incomes afford food. Basic Food is accepted at most grocery stores to buy food items only.

In 2009, 15% of all people and 28% of children living in Skagit County rely on food stamps to feed their families. In today's economy, some families are having to choose between making a mortgage payment and buying food for their family. Here at Community Action, our compassionate staff can help walk people through what services are available to them, including assisting in filling out forms for food assistance. We will also let you know what documents you need to gather, provide information about using the EBT or food stamp card, and give you information about local food banks and meal programs.


Below are some helpful guidelines to help determine if you or someone you know may be eligable for assistance.

You may be able to get Basic Food Assistance if you:

  • Have little or no income
  • Are with or without children
  • Have no permanent home
  • Own your own home
  • Are self employed
  • Are a student working 20 hours per week
  • Are not working
  • Are working full or part time
  • Receive public assistance
  • Have limited money


If your income is less than the income shown below, you may be eligible for Basic Food assistance.

Household Size

Maximum Gross Monthly Income

Each additional person
+ $637


In addition, if you qualify for Basic Food you also qualify for:

If you need emergency food assistance, you may be able to get same day service. For more information or to make an appointment, please call Community Action today and we will walk with you through the process.

Skagit County Community Action Agency

330 Pacific Place
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Fax 360-416-7599