Back to Services

Mobile Food Express

Using a 14’ Express Van (called the Mobile Food Express), local volunteers pick up food boxes at 5 partnering food banks and deliver the food to the homes of Skagit’s neediest families, typically seniors and disabled.  In 2009, the Mobile Food Express delivered to 189 families, and delivered over 3,000 boxes of food.


Who Is Eligible?

Anyone that can not get to a food bank due to age, disability or lack of transportation.   The primary populations served are seniors and people with disabilities.   However, other families facing temporary emergency situations can also be served on a case-by-case basis. 


Is Mobile Food Express the same as Meals on Wheels?

The two programs are different but complement each other. The Mobile Food Express delivers groceries like produce, meats, eggs, dairy, and canned soups and vegetables - items typically given at food banks. In some cases, special dietary foods are available. Whereas, Meals on Wheels brings prepared, ready-to-each meals to people over 60 years old. Mobile Food Express is most appropriate for people who can cook for themselves, whereas Meals on Wheels is geared for seniors who have trouble cooking on their own.


What Areas do Mobile Food Express Serve?

Mount Vernon, Burlington, Sedro-Woolley and Anacortes are the four main areas of service.  Other areas in Skagit (like East County) may be served on an as-needed, emergency basis but require special arrangements since volunteers use their own vehicles in these instances. 


Where Does the Food Come From? 

The vast majority of the food is provided by the five partnering food banks in Skagit, which are:

  • Helping Hands Food Bank in Sedro-Woolley
  • Heart Prints Food Pantry and Neighbors in Need in Mount Vernon
  • Anacortes 100 and Salvation Army in Anacortes
  • Tri-Parish Food Bank in Burlington
  • Concrete Food Bank in Concrete

In addition, Skagit Community Action provides supplemental foods when available throughout the year.  The Mobile Food Express receives no state or federal support for operation.  It relies on community donations and funding from private foundations.  Click here for more information on donating.  


How can I get involved?

This program is volunteer run and we are always looking for volunteers to help deliver in the Mount Vernon, Burlington, Sedro-Woolley, Anacortes, and Concrete areas. 

You can become involved by:

  • Becoming a driver and see first hand the impact your time and effort makes on needy families.
  • Being a ride-along helper to help carry the food to the homes.
  • Helping stuff boxes as people are needed to load boxes and bags at the food banks.
  • Helping in the office to help with general office work and data entry.

To learn more about volunteering with Mobile Food Express, email Justin Keefe or call 360-416-7585. You can also check out the Skagit Volunteer Center and search by zip code for opportunities in your area.  All volunteers must pass a criminal background check.



June 26, 2011 - Reporter Learns true Volunteering a way of life

By Tahlia Honea | Skagit Valley Herald


Make a Donation

Donate today to help end hunger in Skagit County. Cash or food donations will go a long way in supporting the homebound families we serve.  For some of the most elderly and disabled who rarely leave their homes, it’s the only support they receive.  

1. Food Donations*

If you have food to spare, we can find a home for it. Here is a list of most-needed items: 

  • Pop-top or easy open soups
  • Canned soups, chili, stew
  • Canned veggies, fruits
  • Dry pasta, rice, dried beans, flour, oil
  • Boxed meals (Mac n cheese, rice-a-roni etc)
  • Shelf stable milk, powdered milk
  • Peanut butter, jelly, canned tuna
  • Granola bars, power bars, cereal, oatmeal
  • Toothpaste, toilet paper and diapers
  • Can openers

Please check dates on your food donations.  We can only except canned or nonperishable foods if the expiration date is no more than a year past.   

Drop Off Locations and Hours: Please call the Food Team at 360-416-7585 for drop off locations and times.

2. Cash Donations * – Donate Now

Cash donations will go even further. By buying in bulk from non-profit distributors (such as Food Lifeline), each $1 you donate can purchase an entire case of canned food.  Cash donations are tax-deductible.  Cash donations can be done online through a secure server, or sent to Skagit County Community Action Agency, 330 Pacific Place, Mount Vernon, WA, 98273. 

*From March 1st to April 30th, any money raised or food items donated ($1 per item/pound) will be matched through the Feinstein Foundation Match Challenge!